I’m quite often asked, “Should I go to a barber or salon?” The answer to that question depends on several factors. Just as you wouldn’t go to a cardiologist for brain surgery, you won’t want to go to a salon for a flattop. Likewise, a barber isn’t likely to be comfortable cutting a flowing pompadour. Choosing between a barber and salon, and finding a quality men’s haircut near you can be tricky.
The main difference between the two types of haircutters is that barbers are typically trained to cut shorter, traditional haircuts for men while salon stylists are trained to cut longer, fuller men’s styles.
With the industry trend moving toward more upscale barbershops and salons for men, the line between barbers and stylists is becoming blurred. Follow the tips below for choosing the right professional for your style.
Go to a barber if…
- you’re looking for a short, traditional style haircut such as a buzzcut, flattop, fade, or military cut.
- you’re on a budget. Most barbers are cheaper than stylists, so you may save a bit of money going to a barber.
- you’re looking to keep it simple. Barbers will typically cut your hair in a manner that allows it to look good naturally, without a lot of styling product.
Go to a salon stylist if…
- you want a change. During the consultation, a stylist will often make suggestions for a style that will better complement your features.
- you are looking for a premium cut. Most stylists will come with a higher price, but as long as you choose a great stylist the cost will be well worth it.
- you’re growing your hair. Stylists generally have more experience cutting and styling longer hair.
- you’re looking for a more fashion-forward style. A stylist usually is more aware of current trends than a barber.
- you want to use hair products. Stylists are more likely to be well-trained on the types and use of the best men’s hair products on the market.
The above guidelines are generalizations, and not every barber or salon stylist will fit entirely into each skill set. I am a stylist by trade, and have built a career exclusively cutting men’s hair. I am experienced in all men’s hairstyles, from a flawless short haircut, to a long razor shag, and enjoy performing each type of cut equally.
To choose the right professional for you, I suggest finding a stylist or barber with a photo gallery of his work similar to what you’re looking for. In short, that’s the best way to ensure you will find a great men’s haircut near you.
For more information on how to get the best haircut from your hairstylist, as well as self- styling tutorials, please check my youtube channel: Hairstyling for Men with Avenue Man. If you are looking for hair products, feel free to visit AvenueMan.com to view my personal line of modern hair products for men. To schedule an appointment in my private, midtown west studio, please use the booking page at HaircutsBySergio.com.